On March 28th, 2004, I had an AVM (Arteriovenous Malformation) on the left side of my brain. This stroke subsequently left my right side paralyzed. This is a story of my journey, starting from when I first felt the symptoms through my assiduous efforts to overcome the physical constraints that the AVM imposed on me.
I was at my brother’s home with some family. I was pregnant with my second daughter and my husband was in Germany.
Suddenly, I noticed that I was unable to hear from one ear, and a headache soon ensued. My mother called my brother, followed by a call to 911. The paramedics diagnosed my condition as morning sickness from pregnancy. However, my sister insisted that it was more than that due to the deafness in one ear. The paramedics eventually took me to O’Connor hospital. Dr. Sarkis came to check on me, and arranged for an EVD ventriculostomy tube to be put in.
We tried but, we could not find room anywhere with on-call neurologists. Eventually, my radiologist figured out a way to get room for me at UC San Francisco.
At UCSF, they took a signature from my elder brother before surgery. My in-laws and other family members were contacted before the papers were signed.
My family came to support me. The brain surgeons had no hope for me, and predicted that I was going to die due to the lack of responsiveness. They further suggested that we avoid surgery due to quality of life concerns. My sister observed that my fingers were moving and my heart rate was going up as she was talking about my daughter Sana. She convinced the surgeons that there is still some hope. Fortunately, the neurosurgeon, Dr. Lawton is considered as one of the best. The surgery was a success.
The second surgery is carried out. In the second surgery, the Tracheostomy is placed and a second tube is put into my brain. More relatives come to see me. Later, I needed a Shunt to drain accumulated fluid in my brain spaces to my abdomen. The AVM caused a scar in my left eye that led to limited vision in it. I remained at UCSF for an additional two months before shifting to Valley Medical Center. I stayed at Valley Medical Center for three months before finally returning home.

While I was at Valley Medical Center, my water broke. On June 15th, 2004, Aishah, the miracle baby was born. Born at 23 weeks and 4 days, she was the size of an adult hand. Against all odds, she survived.
At home, I was bedridden. Communication was a major obstacle. It took me hours to express that I wanted the fan on. My mother and husband demonstrated an incredible conviction to improve my quality-of-life and encourage me on my road to recovery.

I never realized the essence of the role of my voice until I lost the ability to vocalize my thoughts. They afford us the simple luxury express our thoughts and exchange experiences with each other. The loss of my voice was exacerbated by my comma, during which I lost touch with the ability to communicate effectively. The mental training I h

Post your comment


  1. Posted by Tania Hasan, at Reply

    Seema, that is an incredible story and a remarkable journey of yours, against all odds. You are an inspiration along with your mother and haji( your husband), who have shown an amazing side of the human to the entire world. May Allah bless you with great health and inshaAllah you will be able to be what you want to be. Lots of love and prayers for you and family, always.

  2. Posted by Samar Jafri, at Reply

    That’s what I call never give,one will live only to the point till Allah wants !
    You are blessed with best of mankind who stood by you and still does and not to forget that you have been in my prayers always I remember that dinner at your place and Iam thankful to Allah that he gave me a chance to meet you.

    Best Regsrds,
    Samar Jafri .

  3. Posted by Maria, at Reply

    Can you tell me more about your recovery? I have family who have similiar with AVM. So being able to talk was effected by the coma? Can you speak today? What kind of treatments, therapies have you done?

  4. Posted by Brad mar, at Reply

    This last becember had a stroke diagnosed with a BM on left side lower part of the brain next to the speech reading numbers and learning part of your brain first of June have the AVM removed went to rehab hospital got to go home thought it was towards the end and the first part of July had a infection so another operation on the brain removed part of my skull currently I have a another rehab center with and I biotics and I have at least a month to six weeks here before I get to go home pretty sure I can’t go through anymore surgeries it worse you’re out it’s worn me out